#VisitMyMosqueCanada is a national initiative facilitated by the The Canadian-Muslim Vote. Mosques across Canada will be welcoming their neighbours from all faiths and those without a faith on Visit My Mosque Day. All Canadians will have the opportunity to learn from other Canadian Muslims in their community, see the inside of a mosque and learn more about the contributions being made by Muslims to Canadian society.
The first ever #VisitMyMosqueCanada day in Canada took place on Sunday, October 15, 2017.
The next Visit My Mosque Day is Saturday, November 10th, 2018
Aims of Visit My Mosque
Visit My Mosque day aims to:
- Encourage all mosques in Canada to hold an open day at least once per year
- To allow community relations and community cohesion for the good of society as a whole
- Work for a more enlightened appreciation of Islam and Muslims in the wider society
- Work to reduce misconceptions about Islam and Muslims in Canada
- Celebrate the vast array of charitable, outreach and social action projects performed by mosques in Canada
In essence, Visit My Mosque is about opening a channel for Muslims and non-Muslims to interact, thus building bridges to a stronger Canada / Canadian community. Through Visit My Mosque, we hope that questions are answered and connections are created. A recent Gallup poll has shown that the more likely one is to know a Muslim, the higher chance that person has of expressing more positive feelings towards Muslims as a whole. Visit My Mosque aims to battle Islamophobia by fostering an environment of open communication and engagement.